Saturday, June 1, 2013

What is the Difference Between Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy?



What is the difference between hypnosis and hypnotherapy?
My daughter asked me this question and I decided to answer her question here.  

Hypnosis is a natural, suggestible, focused state of conscious awareness. 
 
You go in and out of hypnosis on a daily basis - when you daydream, when you allow your emotions to be affected by a movie, a piece of music, or even someone’s conversation. I use the word allow because I believe you’re always in control of your experience.

You’re in a hypnotic state when you become immersed in a book.  

I can relate to this from personal experience - when I was growing up, after school, I was responsible for preparing the meals for my family because my mom was at her place of business, I read while I was cooking (back then, reading was a PASSIONATE past time), I was captivated by what I was reading and was oblivious of what was going on around me.  I had to give up reading while I was cooking because on too many occasions I was brought back to my present surrounding by burning food.

How about you – what’s your experience with every day hypnosis?

Have you ever driven home (obeying all the rules of the road) and wondered how you got there?  Some people experience this on the freeway; it’s called “Highway Hypnosis.” This phenomenon has to do with individuals driving safely, and responding effectively to the conditions of the freeway, but miss their exit or arrive to their destination wondering how they got there.

The hypnotic zone

Athletes use hypnosis to accomplish great feats. They call it the zone. Have you ever been in the zone? Stellar, effortless, performances happen when you’re in the “zone.” It's the mom who has to stay focused as she juggles crying children, dinner, homework and balancing the check book. It's the athlete who makes it to the finish line in severe pain. It's passing the bar exam in spite of a throbbing head ache.

Another common every day hypnosis occurrence 

Have you ever had someone say to you “why are you looking at me, or how can I help you” (or something along those lines) because you were lost in thought while staring at him/her?  You were experiencing natural hypnosis.

What is hypnotherapy?

There’s controversy surrounding the term “hypnotherapy.” Some feel that hypnotherapy is not therapy, and others just don’t believe in hypnosis.

Hypnotherapists use hypnosis therapeutically to help their clients make powerful changes such as giving up smoking and other bad habits, overcoming shyness, low self-esteem and lack of confidence. They can help you to pass various exams, overcome the fear of public speaking, and excel at sports and a lot more.

The first stage – consultation

Hypnotherapist and possible clients have an in-depth conversation to determine their challenge and how they can best help them. 

The second stage – possible client is now a client

 The hypnotherapist and client agree on the number of sessions and other goal achieving tools. 

The third stage - sessions

During sessions hypnotherapists help clients achieve the state of hypnosis and give suggestions for desired results. In this state you’ll imagine, picture, feel, visualize, and/or even taste your desired outcome. With repetition what you desire becomes part of your everyday life. 

Hypnotherapy can be used to complement other forms of therapy. Do your homework when choosing a hypnotherapist. You can become your own hypnotherapist by using self-hypnosis. Get step by step instructions here.

I attended The Hypnosis Motivation Institute, a 45 year old, non-profit, nationally accredited college of hypnotherapy, in Tarzana, CA. I graduated as a certified hypnotherapist in 1991. However, hypnotherapy has never been my only career/business focus. 


Other resources

Ask. Com has an in depth article about hypnotherapy

It’s a wrap

Do you have any lingering questions about hypnosis and hypnotherapy? 

Shameless request: if you enjoyed reading this post please share with your friends and Social Media. Thank you :-D
Are you ready for a change? Imagine what your life would be like if you made that one change. Hypnosis can help you to make powerful changes in your life
Contact me for a free consultation
Adalia John Cht
818-741-8909
Skype:adaliaj1
adalia[at]claimyourconfidencenow[dot]com


Adalia John - Hypnotherapist, mindset mastery mentor and confidence solutions coach. I help my clients to use the power of their mind to achieve their personal and `professional goals.

image courtesy of  freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment